Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Leya, and Kigali

WOW. WOW WOW WOW. I am just completely overcome with emotion. Today was probably my favorite day of my whole internship. I got an opportunity most people will never have. Before I tell you the story though, I want to give you some background about how God’s big picture plan was set into motion a year ago, and how he used a 6 year old to bring me and 5 other college kids here to Uganda. He has been working for quite some time now, and as I am seeing it now, I am amazed by his incredibly divine planning. Almost a year ago exactly, Inside Out (high school youth group) at Northpoint Community Church began a series called “Love Moves.” It was an incredibly moving series that inspired many students to get involved in the world around them and make their love move. Every night of the series was amazing, and on one of the nights, there was a girl who came and spoke. She was a former Compassion Child from Uganda who now lives in America. She talked all about how her sponsorship changed her life and how thankful she was for them. She now sponsors her own Compassion Child from Uganda. I flashed back to being a little girl at Christian music concerts running to my parents with a packet in my hand with a picture of a child who needed a sponsor. I promised to do extra chores and scrounge for change to support this child I had found and consequently fallen in love with. I was always devastated when my parents reminded me that our family already sponsored several children and that being an irresponsible 12 year old, it really wasn’t a good time for me to take on that kind of commitment at that point in my life. I snapped back to the present. I was now a college bound girl with a brand new checking account and budget of my own. Things were different now, and I concluded that sponsoring a child is exactly what I wanted to do with $38 of my monthly budget. I started to figure the math and found that if I ate out roughly 4 times less every month, it was completely doable. What an incredibly small sacrifice to drastically change a child’s life? I made my way back to the Compassion International table, new checkbook in hand. I looked at every single child on the table. None gave me that overwhelming, “this is the one” feeling. I asked the Compassion people if I could please look through their boxes behind their table. I went through every single box they had. I picked out one little Ugandan girl in a bow all by herself who was slightly haunting looking, but wasn’t completely sure about my selection so I kept looking. In the last box, I found an adorable little girl from Mexico. Having been to Mexico 5 times, I had a particular drawing to her, and her sweet chubby cheeks and pigtails helped too. I held the two girls side by side. One, from Mexico, beautiful, and smiling, The other, from Uganda, with a startlingly vacant look on her face. I had almost decided on the little girl from Mexico when I decided to read their facts. I found that the cutie pie with the pigtails had two siblings, had both of her parents and both of them had jobs. When I looked at the Ugandan girl’s facts, I found that her father had died. She is one of 8 children, supported only by their mother, who was sometimes employed making about $3 a month. She lived in a high-risk area for HIV/AIDS and couldn’t afford to go to school. The choice was suddenly very easy. I put the little baby doll from Mexico at the front of the table so someone else would choose her soon, and signed my name to sponsor Arinitwe Leya from Uganda. I started to send her letters and pictures and receive them in return. I cried almost every time I got one. Walking through the student, it didn’t even matter. She had captured my heart. In about September, Hannah, Jarron, Jake and I decided that we wanted to do an internship in Africa. None of us knew what country we wanted to go to, and we basically told Mark Berryman to send us wherever he needed us to go. At one point, I was in his office talking to me about the internship. He was asking me where I wanted to go. I took my usual stance that said wherever I was needed, but this time something different happened. My words were suddenly not my own. I just started talking, not really knowing where it was coming from. “Ok, I haven’t talked to Hannah, Jarron, or Jake about this, and I don’t even know if it is even a country at peace right now, but what if we went to Uganda?” Mark laughed and assured me that it was very safe, and very possible that we could go there, and if we did, it was very possible that I could also meet my Compassion child. I left his office and sent a group text message to the three of them saying, “How do y’all feel about Uganda? Cause I think we’re going there!” Since none of them had a particular leaning, they were happy to have a place decided on. We started working things out and Uganda just worked out perfectly. We were so thrilled and I started working with Compassion to set up a visit. Soon after, Tommy and Mandy were added to our team, and we were really happy to have them join us. Setting up this visit was BY FAR the hardest part of my preparation for the internship. I had to be very responsible about details and forms and times and schedules which is really difficult when you are operating on African time. Africans don’t really do details, and Mark Berryman doesn’t really do details, so I was constantly getting frustrated. It all worked out though and I had everything finalized and a little purse full of gifts to bring her when I met her. It has been the thing I was most looking forward to by far.

This morning, we left the Hutton’s house and headed toward Kabale. We took a really rough road and we ALL felt like we had gotten beat up by the time we arrived. I listened to some good music,  a few songs that made me tear up thinking about what I was getting ready to do. We picked up a precious, energetic man named Wilbur in town. He was literally thrilled to see us. He went on and on about how we were such a blessing and how happy he was that we were there. It was really exciting. He took us to the Muhanga Development Center and ushered us inside. I looked around at posters covering the walls talking about proper things to write in letters to sponsors and statistics/graphs about how many children were sponsored each month. I loved reading them all, and I was growing more and more excited by the moment. The staff members brought us out some chai, bananas, and cookies to snack on but I could hardly focus on any of it. I was much too excited. I started getting nervous, and hoping that she would like me, and that I would be able to respond to her in a culturally appropriate way. Wrapping her in a bear hug, though it would be my first and natural reaction, will most likely not be received well. While we were sitting in the Development Center, Wilbur brought me Leya’s file. It has all of her information about everything. Every time she has been sick, every letter she has written me, every report card, and every Sunday school worksheet. It was like someone had handed me a diamond. I was totally engrossed in it, reading every word and loving getting to know her like this. There was even the letter that they had sent to me the day before. One that I will read in about 2 weeks and laugh because it talks about how excited she is to receive me at her home. Wilbur talked to us about what they do for the kids and specifically what the sponsorship money does. It was such an awesome thing to get to see it up close and personal like that. After the talk, we loaded back into our Love Van and headed to Leya’s house. We drove a few miles and parked our van in a yard at the bottom of a mountain. I got out, excited to finally meet her. Wilbur and Esther introduced me to various children standing around me. I got to meet her many brothers and sisters, and I finally turned around and locked eyes with a face I have prayed for since the day we first came in contact almost a year ago. Words cannot even describe how I felt. I could try, but I wouldn’t be able to do it justice. My legs felt like jelly and a wave of emotion exploded somewhere very very deep inside of me. It was all I could do not to burst into tears. She came to me easily and did the very respectful bow that many Ugandan village kids use to greet their elders, but her bow didn’t work because I was there, on my knees with her, at eye level doing everything I could to simply shake her hand and not wrap her up tight in my arms. I don’t even know if I said anything. I think I just looked at her, and took it all in. It was a moment I will never ever ever ever forget as long as I live. I am emotional just writing about it. I gave her the little pink purse I had stocked full of goodies for her, and prepared to go into her house. It was at this moment that I realized that this house at the bottom of the mountain was not hers. We began a hike straight up the mountain that was a good ¾ of a mile on a bunny trail. I got to hold my Leya’s hand though, so it was one of the best walks of my life. She didn’t really speak English at all, so I had the translating help of Wilbur, and another staff member named Esther. Leya’s bag was getting a bit heavy for her on the walk, so I took it back from her so she didn’t have to carry it. None of the kids would let me carry anything. They are all so respectful and appreciate of visitors. People will do ANYTHING for their visitors. I was huffing and puffing when we finally reached her home at the very top, but to turn and look at the view was absolutely staggering. Uganda’s rolling hills and countryside created one of the most beautiful views I have seen since I have been here. Wilbur pointed out Leya’s dad’s grave right by their house, and I was immediately hurting for them. It was evident that they missed him. The whole family was waiting up by the house when I walked up. I met Leya’s mom and grandmother, and both wrapped me in huge hugs and just thanked me over and over and over again. They told me non-stop how much they loved me, and that I was a part of their family. Leya’s grandmother is the mother of her dad so she was just especially appreciative for everything. She wouldn’t let go of me, and kept trying to speak to me in her language even though I couldn’t understand. I met all the siblings I hadn’t met at the bottom of the mountain, and the whole family welcomed me into their home. We sat in their house made of mud without electricity and definitely had our share of awkward silences due to the language barrier. I was sitting over by my Leya and I opened up her bag for her. She was crazy about her soft lavender teddy bear that lit up when you squeeze its hand. She held it like her little baby on her hip, and just hugged it. Her mom stood up and started talking. Wilbur translated, and she just thanked me many times for coming and told me she loved me. She talked about her fear when her husband died, and how she didn’t have any hope for the future of her children. Their poverty level is very very deep. I read about it in Leya’s file. She was so incredibly thankful for my support, and she just went on and on in complete gratitude. I have never felt anything like this. After talking for a while, she disappeared around a corner. She returned with a package wrapped in pink shiny paper. I was hanging on to my tears by a thread. I couldn’t believe that someone with so many struggles in their life would ever get me a gift, much less to spend money to wrap it. It was probably more than any of her children had ever seen for their birthdays or Christmas or anything. It was literally heart wrenching. I opened up my little present to find a hand woven basket. Wilbur told me that Leya’s mom had made it for me herself. I have no idea how much time, effort, and money this cost her, but to me it is one of the most priceless gifts I have ever received. It was given completely unselfishly from someone who has very little material possessions in this world. I hope everyone gets to experience a gift like this at some point in their lives, because it will literally rock you to your core. They brought us a drink of porridge that they had made from their crops outside. It is a cold fermented drink made out of a plant, and unfortunately, it made my gag reflex take effect and so I basically just had to swallow it fast, but I finished the whole cup and I was so thankful for their sacrifice. It was precious. Wilbur called on Leya to stand up and answer questions and she told me that she loved me, and school, and going to church. Her and her siblings sang “Jesus Loves the Little Children” for us, and I just loved sitting by her. She is shy and timid, and doesn’t talk much but her eyes and her smile gave her away. She was so happy. Wilbur asked me to go through my gifts and explain all of them to the family. When I first got stuff, I felt like I didn’t have enough. I wanted to give her the world. Luckily, I followed the rules, because even though I felt like I was giving her nothing, I now realize that anything more would have been literally overwhelming for her. I first pulled out nail polish, thinking that was common knowledge, I set it on the table. Wilbur asked me to show them how it was used. So I showed them. I think Leya’s older sisters were particularly excited about that gift, and due to their squeals I think it is very possible that they had never seen it before. I showed her the bubbles, and the little dollhouse people, the stickers, and ribbons, and photo album, the crayons, and the mini soccer ball and basketball, the bracelets and the whistles. I took them out one by one and gave them to her. I think it was more stuff than she had ever seen in her life. She was glowing, just like her new light up teddy bear. Leya’s mom got up and got my letters that I have sent to her daughter. She showed my pictures I had sent and how they were in an album. I don’t have the words to describe what it is like to be so loved by people on the opposite side of the world that you have never met before. It was incredibly emotional for me. Wilbur said it was time to go, so we took some pictures outside and I spoke to these people who have changed my life. The translator told them how much I love them all and how thankful I am to be a part of their family. They didn’t want to stop hugging me. I didn’t want to leave them, but we started down the mountain anyway. Hannah decided that she also wanted to sponsor a child from the area, and it turned out that Hannah is now the sponsor of Leya’s neighbor. It was really a perfect little girl for her, and God was just so cool about the details concerning it. We walked to her house on the way down and Hannah got to take pictures with her little girl and their family, and it was just a really great thing that happened. I was very excited. I think it was really moving to see what Compassion is doing for these kids. Leya walked beside me down the mountain, and was of course carrying my little basket for me. On our way down it started pouring down raining so we picked up our pace a little bit. We were all standing under a ledge saying our goodbyes. I shook hands with all the siblings and hugged on Leya’s mom, and then I finally got that bear hug I had been hoping for from Leya. I got the translator to tell her that I love her very much and that I am so proud of her. I told her to keep seeking Jesus and that I am so glad that she has accepted him as her Savior (that is what she wrote me in my last letter).  I said goodbye and started to walk to the van only to see the very old grandmother making her way down the strenuous mountain walk to say goodbye. I was just shocked that she would make that kind of walk to see me off. It touched me so deeply. Thanks to the pouring down rain, I don’t think anyone noticed my tears upon saying my goodbyes. I only hope that I will see her and the rest of my Ugandan family again someday.

After going to Leya’s house, we went and saw where they are working on building a new building for their Development Center. It is funded and constructed completely by the parents, which is so cool, because they must really believe in what Muhanga and Compassion are doing. Any money or labor is a huge sacrifice, and for them to give like that is really touching. We went back to the old Development Center and had lunch that was prepared for us by some of the staff ladies. It was really good, you guessed it, matoke, rice, g-nut sauce, beef stew, and Irish potatoes. They really go for the variety around here.

After lunch we made our way into Kabale and got a hotel room. Mandy and I share a room, Hannah has her own, Jarron and Tommy are together and then Jake is with Mark. We had a late dinner at the hotel cafĂ©, and now I am about to settle in and go to sleep. I am exhausted, emotionally, physically, and basically any other aspect in which one can be exhausted. Unfortunately, this hotel doesn’t have internet so this blog post will have to remain a Word document for tonight. Hopefully it will be posted tomorrow when we arrive in Rwanda. Thank you for all your love and support. Especially those of you who supported me financially. I really appreciate you helping out in providing me with this opportunity. I can assure you, it has been a life-changing one. Continue in your prayer! I have seen it work out so many crazy things. For example, as of yesterday, the reaction I have had on my hands for 3 weeks has cleared up significantly for no real reason, except that I am covered completely in prayer. Your prayers are so powerful! I have seen little miracles all along the way. All my love and more from Uganda, about to be Rwanda!

 

OK well that is what I wrote yesterday after meeting my Compassion Child Leya. It was such a great day! We woke up the next morning (which was today, crazyyy) and had some breakfast at our hotel and loaded up the car. We drove for about 3 hours across the border into Uganda, and I got two new stamps for my passport. I was probably a little bit too excited about that. The crossing was not a problem at all which was definitely a blessing. Driving through the Rwandan countryside was absolutely beautiful. It was lush green mountains everywhere. I tried to capture it with my camera, but I simply can’t do it justice. It is one of the prettiest places I have ever been. I worked on putting pictures from yesterday on my laptop. We arrived in Kigali, the capitol city. It is a city, but nowhere near as crowded as Kampala. The people look totally different to me though. It is clear they have a different ethnic heritage than the Ugandan. Among arrival, I was already looking at the people, trying to imagine their age when the genocide happened, what they had seen in their life, and which side of it they were on. It is a lot to think about when you look at a person. People are stoic and have an incredibly deep darkness about them, like they have seen things I can’t even imagine. It is overwhelming to think about. We got to the house the girls are staying at first. We are staying with Murphy and Christine Crowson and their two boys Steven and Matthew. They are a sweet family and I have really enjoyed them so far. Their house is beautiful and we have awesome reliable internet! So that’s wonderful. Also, Kate and Charlie from LOST were here 2 weeks ago, so being 6 interns obsessed with LOST we were pretty excited about that. We went down the road to the house the boys will be staying with. The missionaries are named Marty and Louise Koonse and they have four boys, Tucker, Taylor, Tanner, and Trevor. They are all really cute. The Koonse family took us out for lunch in town and I loved getting to talk to the boys. The oldest is Landon’s age and it was so fun to be around someone even a little bit like him. We had a good meal, and then came back to the Koonse house. Marty sat us down and told us his story and how he came to live in Africa. It was an awesome 2 hours long story about his life and what God had done in it. It was completely inspiring and it made me really excited to get to work here in Rwanda. It is so cool to experience a budding missionary work that is so full of life and ideas. It was encouraging to all of us. All through this story I couldn’t get over how familiar Marty, and their youngest son Trevor looked to me. I kept thinking and thinking but I couldn’t put my finger on where I knew them from. It was driving me crazy! Finally, I thought I had it so I began to ask Louise, the wife, a series of questions. “Did you come to Atlanta last time you were in the States?” Yes. “Do you know Alan Henderson?” Yes? “Did you happen to speak in one of his classes at GACS like, 2 years ago?” YES! I couldn’t believe it! This family spoke in my Wisdom From God’s Word class almost two years ago! AT the time they were living in Togo, West Africa and they shared their whole story. I remember how much it had touched me then and how amazing their story was. You can’t even tell me that we don’t worship a big God! He was at work long ago. I was so excited to talk to them and realized that I had recognized Trevor because I had hung out with him while his parents were talking. It was such a crazy connection! I love how these things keep happening. We worshipped together and then Marty told gave us some background on the genocide. It was very informational. It was amazing to hear the story here in the country and picture faces in my mind. I can’t even describe it. If you get the chance, do a little bit of research or watch Hotel Rwanda or something. If you haven’t heard much about it, it will shock you and horrify you. Everyone should know about it. After the history lesson we went to the Kigali Genocide Memorial Museum. It was truly terrible, and apparently this was one of our lighter days. They wanted to ease us into this life, still haunted by the brokenness of genocide. At the museum they had a whole room of just pictures of people who had been killed. There were people my age, smiling moms, kids, strong fathers, and respected grandparents. It was absolutely one of the worst things I have ever seen. I can’t even describe what it is like to see machete wounds on a child’s head. There was a room with just bones and skulls and another room with clothes found on unidentifiable bodies in a mass grave. Some of the clothes belonged to children. It broke my heart. There was an entire room that had huge pictures just of kids. It gave their age, and favorite activities and foods. Their last statistic was the way they had died. I can’t even describe the horror I felt when I read things like, “hacked to death by a machete in her mother’s arms” or “shot in the head” or “raped and then crushed into a wall.” I couldn’t hold back my tears and I didn’t know exactly how to respond. Mark had to come in and get me because they were closing the museum and I was just sitting there staring at their faces. I felt complete exhaustion and pain when I left, and this is only day 1. Be praying. I still don’t know how to process everything. It is devastating on every level. I also saw the hotel that the movie Hotel Rwanda is about. It was insane to see it in person, especially after I just watched it a few nights ago. When we got home, we had dinner with the Crowsons and had some good conversation. They are a great family and helped me a lot with my emotions about being here. Who could understand better than them? Tomorrow will be a very difficult day, as we will be hearing from some victims of the genocide. People who literally have not another family member in the world. We will also be visitng an actual genocide site, which is going to be very difficult. I don’t even know what to request prayers for but God knows what I need and what the people of Rwanda need, so please go to Him on our behalf. Thank you for always being faithful and wonderful supporters. Your encouragement and love means more to me than I can say.

6 comments:

  1. Wow -- highs that are so high and lows that are so low. Thank you for sharing it so beautifully. Continued prayers for you and those you are serving. Much love from Atlanta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sweet Heidi,
    As I read your beautiful and emotional blog this morning, the tears ran down my face. So much emotion of joy and sorrow. We have no idea how very blessed we are and we need to be reminded constantly of the people who need to hear the hope in the loving words of Jesus. We praise Him for the healing of your health and skin rash and know He is watching over all of you as you serve Him. We are so proud of you and love you so much. Grammy and Grandaddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi -
    I'm overwhelmed by God's presence as I read of your experiences. Your words each wonderfully show how God is at work in His creation and is using this experience to encourage and strengthen your faithfulness. Know of many prayers for you and your friends as you travel and serve our Lord.
    Glenn Martin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Precious Girl! What an incredible blog! It is so filled with God's unending strength. I know HE will continue to empower you endlessly!The picture of Leya is just so adorable, and you are the perfect testimony for God's work through Compassion.I know it is selfish, but with every blog I know you are one step closer to home :) I can't wait to see that freckle face sitting in the kitchen at Kate's Court! I love you more than words could ever say and I am so blessed that OUR GOD has placed YOU in my life! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi... I just got in to work and decided to read your blog to check up on you...and WOW...my make up is shot for the day from tearing up just reading your post :) I am SO proud of you and your heart, Heidi. It is an amazing feeling to see how God, even over the span of years, orchestrates every tiny detail in our lives. I am so glad to see you experiencing that in such an incredible way! And not only are you experiencing it, but you are giving Him all the Glory for it! What a blessing! I will continue praying for you as you finish out your time there. I LOVE YOU!!!!!

    -Lindsey Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi -
    First let me say we are praying, praying, praying about the heart ache you are constantly having while in Rwanda and as you hear the stories and see the aftermath. Second, we are praising our Father with you at how you got to meet Leya and how He keeps sending other warriors from crazy connections to encourage you and remind you- the world is big, but He is bigger. Cannot wait for you to be home. Love you and miss you! (it was great talking to you on fb-much needed Heidi love)

    ReplyDelete

.

.